Norman County Auditor-Treasurer
Donna J. Hanson, Auditor-Treasurer
P.O. Box 266
16 3rd Avenue East
Ada, MN 56510
Fax: (218) 784-4531
Office Hours 8:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Closed on Observed Holidays
The Auditor/Treasurer’s Office is part of the administrative branch of County government and interacts with county departments, county residents, the vendors, local governments, state and federal agencies, school districts, and special districts. The County Auditor/Treasurer, an elected official, is the County's Chief Financial Officer, Property Tax Administrator, and Supervisor of Elections. The Auditor/Treasurer is also a member, by statute, of the county board of equalization, the county canvassing committee, and sits on various other committees, councils, and boards, as directed by the board. Some of the functions of this department include:
- Cash Management
- County Beaver Control
- County Budgets, Payroll and Annual Financial Statement
- County Drainage Ditches
- County Liquor/Tobacco/Auctioneer License
- Property Taxes
- Property Conveyances
- Voter Registration & Elections
- Affidavit of Lost Warrant
County Beaver & Gopher Control Claim Forms
Please choose which claim form you need and fill it out. Forms are available at the bottom of this page. If you choose the beaver control claim form, please have your district’s county commissioners sign it before you bring it to our office. If you choose the gopher control claim form, please return it to one of your township officials.
- Beaver Control Claim Form (your district county commissioner signature required)
- Gopher Control Claim Form (your township official signature required)
County Drainage Ditches
County Budgets, Payroll and Annual Financial Statement
Issues payment for County department obligations, collects all county revenues, prepares monthly reports and the annual financial statement. Compiles and publishes the annual budget.
Administers the county drainage system. Files special assessments against benefited landowners for the purpose of funding repairs and maintenance costs.
County Liquor/Tobacco Licenses & Auctioneer License
Issues County Liquor Licenses through the Minnesota Liquor Control Commission and issues other miscellaneous licenses.
Calculates rates and prepares tax information, tax statements and "Truth in Taxation" notices. Bills for and collects all property taxes and county special assessments. Keeps records of all taxing district levies (towns, cities, schools, etc.), tax collections and unpaid taxes. Places delinquent property tax parcels into judgment, administers forfeiture proceedings and sales, and uses revenue recapture as a collection method, according to statute. Monitors tax increment finance compliance.
Norman County Property Taxes are now available online.
- Mobile Home Tax Information First half mobile home tax payment is due August 31, second half payment is due November 15. Taxes of $100 or less are due in full on August 31. If you plan to move your mobile home you need a Mobile Home Statement. It states that all delinquent and current taxes are paid in full. Any taxes not paid will need to be paid before the mobile home can be moved.
- Direct Payment Program:We have implemented an automated payment program for taxes that allows us to withdraw funds on the due date directly from your checking or savings account as authorized by you. It's quick, easy and eliminates the worry of not making your payment on time. If you are interested in signing up for the program print off the Authorization Form linked to this article and return it by April 15 for the first half taxes payable May 15 or by September 15 for the second half taxes payable October 15 or November 15.
- Note: It's against the law to write a bad check in Minnesota. Checks returned to us for nonpayment are subject to a service charge of $30.00. Additional civil penalty may be imposed on checks returned for nonpayment after 30 days. MN Statute 604.113
Collects all mortgage registration, state deed taxes and split fees. Processes all documents transferring property titles and entering them in a permanent database before they are filed with the County Recorder.
Voter Registration & Elections
Voter Registration and Elections. Enters and maintains all County voter's registrations on the state system. Administers election process including training election judges, city, town, and school district officials. Tallies and reports election night returns.
Links to the Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State:
Absentee Ballot Applications are located at the bottom of this page.
To obtain an absentee ballot through the mail, complete the Absentee Ballot Application, (link below) and send it to the Norman County Auditor at PO Box 266, Ada, MN 56510 or fax to 218-784-4531. Your ballot will be sent to you when it is ready (as early as 30 days before Election Day).
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Election results and training information are available at the Minnesota Secretary of State web site.