close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a burning permit?
To obtain a burning permit you must apply in person at the Sheriff’s Office.  The burning permits are free of charge and require the signature of the person receiving the burning permit.  Burning Permits are issued for Piled Material, such as trees, brush, and leaves.  Running Fire, such as grass, brush and slash.  Special Conditions, such as old buildings without restrictive material.  You do have to provide a burn site location with the township and section.  Burning is not allowed within the City limits of a City.  If there is a continuous snow cover of three inches or more a burning permit is not required.  Prohibited Materials are: oils, rubber, plastics, tires and chemically treated materials such as railroad ties, treated lumber, composite shingles, tar paper, insulation, composition board, sheet rock, wiring, paint hazardous and industrial solid waste.
How can I get a copy of a Sheriff's Report or Accident Report?
To obtain a copy of a Sheriff’s report or accident report, stop by in person at the Sheriff’s Office located at 15 2nd Avenue East, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday, or make a request by mail, or by telephone at (218)784-7114. The report can also be requested by your insurance company but we must have a signed authorization by you.  There is a fee for the report. A Norman County Data Request Form will need to be filled out to process your request for records. Click Here  for the form. 
What does the Sheriff's Office charge for civil process service?
The charge for most civil process is $45.00 plus .55 a mile round trip for mileage computed from Ada with a minimum mileage of $10.00.  If there are two separate parties to be served the cost is $45.00 per person or business served.  There are different fees for other process but the $45.00 fee plus mileage covers about 80% of all actions. 
When do I call 9-1-1?
If your conversation can begin with “This is not an emergency”, you should not be using the 911 line, but should be calling (218)784-7114!  You could be preventing someone with a real emergency from getting help!
Who do I call if I have information on a crime?
If the crime is in progress or it is an emergency call 9-1-1.  For any information that is not an emergency call (218) 784-7114 and your call will be directed to the proper person.
How are the roads from here to there?
The Sheriff's office receives these types of calls constantly in the winter months especially after a storm.  There are two ways to get road condition information for anywhere in Minnesota:  1) Dial 511 .  An automated message will give you the most current road information for whatever region of the state you request.  2) If you have a computer with internet service, type in the address of This website also has additional links to get road conditions from other states.
Do I have a warrant for my arrest?  or  Who do I call about a traffic ticket I received?
For the answers to these questions you must call the Norman County Court Administration at 218 784-5458 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Can I get a copy of my driving recored for my employer or insurance agent?
To obtain a copy of your driving recored, you need to request this from the Minnesota Department of Public Safetyin St. Paul, MN.  Forms are available at the Sheriff's Office or through the Minnesota Department of Public safety web site.