Child Passenger Safety
Car seat engineers work hard every day to ensure the seats they design keep children as safe as possible, but it is ultimately every caregiver's responsibility to ensure their child's car seat fits the child and vehicle and is used correctly during every ride.
Although car seat and vehicle manuals do a great job guiding parents through the installation process, questions or concerns may still arise. Norman-Mahnomen Public Health has a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician to help caregivers address issues at no cost.
Training includes an explanation of the Minnesota Child Passenger Restraint Law and training on proper child restraint fit, use, and installation.
Most Common Child Passenger Safety Mistakes
- Turning a child from a rear-facing restraint to a forward-facing restraint too soon - American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) now recommends keeping children rear-facing until child they outgrow their rear facing car seat and at least 2 years of age.
- Restraint is not secured tight enough - It should not shift more than one inch side-to-side or out from the seat.
- Harness on the child is not tight enough - If you can pinch harness material, it is too loose.
- Retainer (Chest) clip is up too high or too low - Should be at the child’s armpit level.
- The child is in the wrong restraint - Do not rush your child into a seatbelt.
Car Seat Distribution Classes
- Are you expecting a baby?
- Is your infant growing out of the infant carrier seat?
- Is your toddler growing out of the convertible seat?
- Does your 4 to 8 year need a booster seat?
Attend class to receive a new child safety seat and receive instruction on proper use and installation.
Income eligible families who are residents of Norman & Mahnomen Counties can receive free car seats. Call to find out income guidelines (families who are on WIC or children on Medical Assistance are automatically eligible).
Schedule an Appointment
For more information contact Norman-Mahnomen Public Health to schedule an appointment for a car seat check and education on proper use and installation.
Contact Norman-Mahnomen Public Health, by calling 218-784-5425 / 218-935-2527 or email: email@example.com
- Is Your Child in the Right Restraint?
Learn the restraint steps a child should progress through.
- Do You Know How to Properly Secure Your Child?
Learn about all types of child restraints and how to use them. View instructional child seat instructional videos.
- Minnesota Department of Public Safety, Child Passenger Safety
- NHTSA - Parent & Caregivers Section
- Safe Ride News
- Safe Kids Grand Forks
- Safe Kids Fargo-Moorhead