Norman-Mahnomen Public Health Department contracts with area schools; including Ada-Borup-West, Mahnomen, and Norman County East to provide school nursing services.
Public Health nurses assist in health assessments, counseling, and referral services for school children in all schools, and provide age-specific health topic teachings to all grade levels in schools in the county.
Contracted services include:
- Early childhood screenings
- Rescreen, referral, and follow-up components as indicated according to screening program standards
- School-based vision, hearing, and scoliosis screening programs
- Health education and consultation on requested topics such as
- Puberty Education and Physical Hygiene
- Self-Esteem and Children's Mental Health
- Dental Health and Hygiene
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Teen Pregnancy Prevention
- Infectious Disease and Prevention
- Reporting of Vaccine-Preventable Disease
- Influenza and COVID-19 surveillance
- Minnesota’s Statutes Regarding Immunizations and School Children
- Head Lice: MDH does not recommend mass screenings or sending children home for head lice. We encourage families to check their children for lice.