close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Norman County Child Support

Minnesota's child support program benefits children by enforcing parental responsibility for their support. The Minnesota Department of Human Services, Child Support Division supervises the child support program. County child support offices administer it by working with parents to establish and enforce support orders. The child support program helps families become and remain self-sufficient through improved child support collections. Minnesota's child support program helps children receive the financial, medical and child care support they deserve. 

A person can receive child support if all of the following apply: 

  • The person is the parent of a minor child or is the person who has court-ordered custody of the minor child
  • The minor child lives in the person's household
  • The child is financially dependent on that person
  • One or both of the child's parents are absent from the home
  • A court has ordered a person to pay child support

 Child support services are available to:

  • Parents of minor children, if one parent does not live with the child
  • Parents who pay child support through court-ordered income withholding
  • People who have court-ordered, physical custody of a minor child
  • People who receive public assistance for a minor child who lives in their home



    • Divorce action
    • Collection of:
      • Attorney's fees
      • Marital or other non-support related bills
      • Property settlement award
    • Establishing or modifying spousal-maintenance-only orders
    • Legal action for parenting time (visitation) or custody
    • Any other items not related to support payments

    If you need help with any of these services, you may wish to contact a private attorney.

Child support agencies and county attorneys do not represent either parent in child support court actions. Instead, they represent the best interests of the child according to the requirements of child support statutes and guidelines. In Minnesota, parents can also use an expedited process to resolve child support matters where they can represent themselves.


Employer information:

Applying for Child Support Services

You may apply for Child Support services if a minor child lives in your household, if the child is financially dependent on you, or if a parent is absent from the home. If you are applying for or are receiving Public Assistance in Norman County, your application for Child Support services will automatically be referred to us. If you would like to apply for our non-public assistance Child Support services, you must complete an application.

You may call us at 218-784-5400 to request an application or to receive more information. If you prefer, you may download a copy of the DHS Full Child Support Services Application

Check on your child support case online at:  Minnesota Child Support Online

Direct Line: (218) 784-5403
Work Cell: (218) 415-1719