close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Norman County Social Services

COVID-19 Agency Update:
Social Services agency doors will be opening November 2; however,  due to the continuing increasing COVID numbers across Norman County, staff will be very limited. Most of our staff members will continue to work remotely at this time. We encourage business to be handled remotely whenever possible as most business does not require a face to face visit.  Keeping our clients, staff and community safe is our top priority.  If you choose to come in person to the agency, a mask will be required in order for you to enter the office.  Space is limited, therefore, we encourage you to call our front desk staff before coming in, to determine if the staff member you are wishing to see is in the office.  Prescreening questions will be asked when entering. We have also implemented a No Wait Inside policy to ensure minimal interaction with others should you need an in-person appointment.

Norman County Social Services' mission is to effectively and efficiently deliver essential services to families and individuals so they can achieve their potential through active community participation and to protect, promote and improve the health and quality of life in Norman County.

Norman County Social Services
Director: Kristi Nelson
15 2nd Avenue East
Ada, MN 56510
Agency Phone Number: 218.784.5400


Adult Protective Services
Determine need for protection, intervention and help correcting hazardous living conditions.
Contact: 218.784.5437

To make a report of potential vulnerable adult abuse:
Proper reporting  is done through the state-wide Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC).
The MAARC provides a web-based reporting system available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for mandated reporters Mandated reporters will be redirected to use the web-based reporting system. Mandated/volunteer reporters will be redirected to also make a phone report 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling the statewide toll-free number 844-880-1574.
Agency wide staff must complete the mandated reporter training available through DHS
Norman County Social Services does not have the ability to accept vulnerable adult maltreatment reports. All reports must be directed to MAARC either via telephone or web-based reporting. 

 Case Management/Care Coordination
To coordinate Alternative Care, Elderly Waiver, Community Alternatives for Disabled Individuals, Brain Injury and Developmental Disability services.
Contact: 218.784.5437

Long-Term Care Consultation
Consultations are conducted by a social worker and public health nurse who will visit you in your home or in a long-term care facility to help identify services that you might need or want.
Contact: 218.784.5437


Child Protective Services (See "Child Protection" tab in the menu on the left)
Norman County Social Services works with child protection matters such as intervention, prevention and resolution of child abuse and neglect as well as professional help with individual and family problems.


Child Support Enforcement
Working with parents to establish and enforce support orders. Together, they help families become and remain self-sufficient through improved child support collections. Minnesota's child support program helps children receive the financial, medical and child care support they deserve.
Check on your child support case online at Minnesota Child Support Online or,
contact the Norman County Child Support Officer, Crystal Stene via email or at (218)784-5405.


Income Maintenance / Medical Assistance
Income Maintenance programs include Financial Assistance for families or adults who are unable to work; Emergency Assistance and Diversionary Assistance; Medical Programs and Food Benefits. Apply online for health care, breast and cervical cancer coverage, family planning, cash assistance, SNAP (food support), emergency help and child care assistance programs. Click here to apply.
or contact the agency at  (218) 784-5400.

MNsure is a marketplace where Minnesotans can shop, compare and choose health insurance coverage that meets their needs. MNsure is the only place where consumers can qualify for financial help either through federal tax credits or through MinnesotaCare and Medical Assistance. Click here to apply.
Agency: MNsure
Contact: 1.855-366-7873 


Medicaid Waivers
Norman County Social Services offers MnCHOICES assessments to determine eligibility for services and administers Minnesota Medicaid Waiver programs. These programs authorize long term services and supports to meet the needs of individuals who have a disability living in the community.
Minnesota residents of all ages with disabilities or chronic illnesses who need certain levels of care may qualify for the Minnesota Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) waiver programs. These programs are available to persons who choose to reside in the community and meet the eligibility criteria. The links below will provide more information about each Medicaid Waiver program and the specific services funded.

 Brain Injury (BI) Waiver for people with a traumatic, acquired or degenerative brain injury who require the level of care provided in a nursing facility that provides specialized services for persons with BI, or who require the level of care provided in a neurobehavioral hospital.
Community Alternative Care (CAC) Waiver for chronically ill and medically fragile people who require the level of care provided in a hospital.
Community Alternatives for Disabled Individuals (CADI) Waiver for people with disabilities who require the level of care provided in a nursing facility.
Developmental Disability (DD) Waiver for persons with developmental disabilities or a related condition who require the level of care provided in an Intermediate Care Facility for Persons with Persons with Developmental Disabilities (ICF/DD).
Elderly Waiver (EW) for people over the age of 65 years who require the level of care provided in a nursing facility and choose to reside in the community (DHS Aging and Adult Services Division administers the EW program).

Contact: 218.784.5437

Other Resources:  
Disability Linkage Line 
Senior Linkage Line

The agency phone system also provides the above information requesting that all reports are made directly to the MAARC.  This information is also available on the NCSS website.

Agency wide staff must complete the mandated reporter training available through DHS